TRAVEL NEWS — Delta Airlines announced a $1 billion commitment (over the next ten years) to become the first carbon neutral airline. Through advancements in innovation, technology and stakeholder engagement programs, Delta intends to mitigate all emissions from its global business network.
While many companies enact sustainability business strategies, Delta intends to lead the way for global airlines.
“There’s no challenge we face that is in greater need of innovation than environmental sustainability, and we know there is no single solution. We are digging deep into the issues, examining every corner of our business, engaging experts, building coalitions, fostering partnerships and driving innovation,” Bastian said. “We are on a journey, and though we don’t have all the answers today, we know that our scale, along with investments of time, talent and resources will bring meaningful impact to the planet and ensure the sustainability of our business for decades to come.”Delta Airlines Press Release
How Delta is focusing its efforts to become carbon neutral
- Carbon reduction:
- Decrease the use of jet fuel and increase efficiency
- Fleet renewal program
- Improved flight operations
- Weight reduction
- Increased development and use of sustainable aviation fuels.
- Carbon removal:
- Investment in innovation and technology to remove carbon emissions from the atmosphere that goes beyond the airline’s current commitments.
- Investigating carbon removal opportunities and other negative emissions technologies to include: forestry, wetland restoration, grassland conservation, and marine and soil capture.
- Stakeholder engagement:
- Building coalitions with employees, suppliers, global partners, customers, industry colleagues, investors and other stakeholders to advance carbon reduction and removal goals and maximize our global impact.
“There is no substitute for the power that travel has to connect people, which our world needs today more than ever before. As we connect customers around the globe, it is our responsibility to deliver on our promise to bring people together and ensure the utmost care for our environment,” said Ed Bastian, Delta’s CEO. “The time is now to accelerate our investments and establish an ambitious commitment that the entire Delta team will deliver.”Delta Airlines Press Release
With increasing customer demand for corporate sustainability, many airlines have expanded their efforts by limiting single use plastic, investing in bio-fuel technology, and purchasing more fuel-efficient aircraft.
To stay up-to-date on the latest travel news, follow us on LinkedIn.
If you would like to find out how CTI Business Travel can help your company save on travel, follow this link: Contact us.